Thursday, May 26, 2011

These Last Few Weeks - Part 4

I think this is the book that has meant the most to me in my loss of our tiny Journey Peace. I wish I would have known about it years ago. I wish that in my first miscarriage I had known it was ok to grieve this kind of loss, that we would heal better if we first took the time to grieve


When we contacted Infants Remembered In Silence for a remains container they also gave us a care package with a tiny square knit baby blankie, a prayer shawl, an angel pin, and the books in the picture below. It was very helpful to read other mom's stories and to read that the pain and emotion was indeed normal and part of the healing process. I wish every clinic would give something like this to mom's who miscarry or loss a baby before it is born. Centering Corporation is an excellent resource for small booklets of resources for grieving families.






I have been incredibly blessed lately by Sherokee Ilse, author of several books on loss. She has walked the path of both miscarriage and stillbirth and has such a heart to help other moms. Four years ago when I had my second miscarriage a friend gave me Empty Arms written by Sherokee. It made a huge difference in my grieving and healing then. And this time when we learned our baby's heart was no longer beating I felt more "armed" or perhaps better prepared for how to grieve. I knew to seek out the help I felt I needed. Sherokee has many great resources for grieving families at her site Babies Remembered




There are quite a few books we can always order online, but when a mom learns the baby she is carrying has died or has a fatal prognosis it is helpful for her to get words of comfort and encouragement right away, not 5-7 days later due to shipping and handling. Recently I visited a small Catholic bookstore near my home and asked what books they carried for parents grieving the loss of a baby and I was glad to find both of these on their shelf:



Below I've listed a pretty long list of books that I have looked at on Miscarriage and Baby Loss. I have not read all of them but I have looked at many of them and read reviews on most of them.



Grieving The Child I Never Knew- A devotional companion for comfort in the loss of your unborn or newly born child by Kathe Wunnenberg

Empty Arms - Coping with miscarriage, stillbirth and infant death
by Sherokee Ilse


When A Baby Dies
- Answers to comfort grieving parents
by Ronald H. Nash


Always Precious in our Memory
- Reflections after miscarriages, stillbirth, or neonatal death by Kristen Johnson Ingram


Empty Arms
- Emotional support for those who have suffered a miscarriage, stillbirth, or tubal pregnancy by Pam Vredevelt


When a Baby Dies
- Psychotherapy for pregnancy and newborn loss
by Irving G. Leon

Silent Grief - Miscarriage - Child loss, finding your way through the darkness by Clara Hinton

Pregnancy After a Loss - A guide to pregnancy after a miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death by Carol Cirulli Lanham

When A Baby Dies - The experience of late miscarriage, stillbirth, and Neonatal death
by Nancy Kohner & Alix Henley

No New Baby - This book is for young siblings
by Marilyn Gryte

Miscarriage: A Shattered Dream offers a comprehensive, insightful perspective for families experiencing a miscarriage.
by Linda Hammer Burns & Sherokee Ilse


Stolen Joy:
Healing After Infertility & Pregnancy Loss
by Anne Barney

Our Stories of Miscarriage- Healing with Words: Fifty contributors, including four men, share vivid, real life accounts of how miscarriage has affected their lives
by Rachel Faldet & Karen Fitton

Stillbirth The Invisable Death:
by John DeFrain

The SIDS Survival Guide: Information & comfort for grieving families, friends & professionals who seek to help them
by Joni Horchler & Robin Morris


Gladsome Rose: A bereaved mother's journey into faith

by Irene Vodantis Lafakis


Mother's Manual
: Contains prayers for special situations, such as a disabled child, a miscarried baby, difficult pregnancy,
by Fr Francis Coombes

I'll Hold You In Heaven by Pastor Jack Hayford

"Mommy, Please Don't Cry"
by Linda De Ymaz
The Next Place by Warren Hanson


No comments:

Post a Comment